When decorating the outside of our homes the main focus is usually on the main entertaining area: the backyard. The front of our house is sometimes under utilized and too often put to last or forgotten. When you think about it, the front porch is the first thing people see when they drive up to your home and gives your guests their first impression. So it is essential that it showcases your personality.
Below are some tips on how to get started designing your front porch.
- Is your front porch a transitional space (small space) into your home or it’s own living space(roomy and large)?
- Transitional porches(small porches) should reflect the over all theme of your home. i.e. If the decor of the inside of your home is shabby chic, then too your front porch should be decorated in the shabby chic style.
- If your front porch is it’s own living space (larger scale), feel free to give it a separate look than the inside of your home as long as it compliments the outside of your home.
- Furnishings should be smaller scale.
- Avoid large patterns on the larger pieces. This will make the space look even smaller.
- Add accents like pillows and small rugs to bring in color and pattern.
- Mirror the style that you have inside your home. i.e. a traditionally decorated house should have a traditionally decorated front porch.
- Decorate this space like you would a room in your home.
- Larger pieces (sofa or love seat) should face out toward the street.
- Ottomans can double as extra seating or coffee tables.
- Add pillows and maybe an outdoor rug to really give your porch the living room look.
For help making your front porch shine, visit your nearest Danny Vegh’s for help from our in store designers or check out our complimentary design service online.